Alienware 13 R3 not finding plugable UD-ULTCDL in thunderbolt control

Everything seems to be working except it wont charge the laptop and nothing is showing up in the thunderbolt control. i can’t seem to get it to recognize the plugable UD-ULTCDL. I have updated all the drivers as well. I was able to solve the open lid problem by making the nvdia card set to the standard card used though. Any ideas on what i can do to get the plugable device to show on the thunderbolt controls?

Hello Wade,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support. I’d be happy to assist you.

The UD-ULTCDL is a USB-C dock, not Thunderbolt 3, so you won’t see it in the TBT3 control panel.

For the dock not charging your system, it’s possible your model doesn’t support charging over USB-C/Thunderbolt 3. Or if it has more than one USB-C/TBT3 ports, it may only charge from a specific port.

I do know that the Alienware 15 R3 does not support USB-C charging.

Thank you,
Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

I noticed on the plugable website it shows how to get the device to show up under the thunderbolt management system.

https://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3/su…

So i am not sure I follow, shouldn’t I be able to pull it up on the thunderbolt software or is the one i purchased not correct for what I am after?

Hi Wade,

The dock you purchased is not Thunderbolt 3 - therefore it will not show up in the Thunderbolt 3 utility.

You purchased our UD-ULTCDL which is a USB-C dock and it is compatible with Thunderbolt 3 systems, but is using a different technology to operate with the computer hence why it will not show up in the utility.

Thanks,
Josh

Ok thank you much for the info! Do you all sell a device that is USB-C and thunderbolt compatible?

Hi Wade,

Well Thunderbolt 3 is a superset of USB-C, so if it is Thunderbolt 3 it supports USB-C by default. Is there a particular function you’re looking for in a dock that you believe you require Thunderbolt 3 support for over just a standard USB-C dock?

For all intents and purposes most users will not notice a difference unless they are needing 4K @ 60Hz video.

You could look at our TBT3-UDV dock, though I also expect it to not charge your system. http://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udv

I would also expect only one video output to function, but we’ve not tested it here to verify that.

Best wishes,
Josh

Hi Wade,

If you have any further questions please just let us know at support@plugable.com

Best,
Josh