After Transfer, new Laptop is a mess! Can's use it

I used the Plug to Easy Transfer between my old Windows 7 laptop and my new Window 8 one. I did nothing special, used defaults, and the transfer took place. Everythign seemed fine, except it changed my Desktop to the exact same as my old Gateway laptop. I think it transfered too completely - files and settings - and my Windows 8 seems to be going crazy now. Began with screwy video, then developed weird problem after problem - started self typing so I can’t even type in my password to login anymore because it keeps adding random characters while I’m typing. My touch screen functions work sporadically.

I don’t have a backup disk, but do I need to re-format my hard drive and go back to scratch?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us about the Easy Transfer Cable. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked as expected.

Could you tell me which software you used to make the transfer? Was it the Microsoft Easy software installed in your computer or the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software that we supply with the cable?

When used with Microsoft’s Easy Transfer software, the cable is designed to transfer over settings such as your favorites and desktop. Many people use the cable to keep the interface they were familiar with in their old computer. It should not transfer over anything that interferes with the operation of the computer itself.

With the Easy Computer Sync software, it is possible to transfer over settings that could cause problems, but they have to be individually selected and confirmed. They won’t transfer over by default.

The other problems you mention sound like they may have a different source, possibly a hardware issue, especially the repeating key or touch screen issue.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please go to this page on your Windows 8 computer and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Thank you,
David
Plugable Support

Hello,

I’m just checking back to see if you have been able to get this resolved on your own, or if you would still like some help with it.

Thank you,

David
Plugable Support