Advice needed before purchase

Hello,

I am in need of some advice in purchasing a new docking station. I currently have the UD-3900 which has worked great for me with the two ViewSonic monitors that I have. One monitor is connected to the dock via HDMI, the other is through DVI.

However, I have added a third monitor, the Lenovo ThinkVision m14 which is a portable monitor that uses a single USB-C with Alt Mode cable, and I have this third monitor connected directly to my laptop’s USB-C Alt Mode port. I want to be able to connect this monitor to a dock so when I disconnect the laptop, I only have to unplug one cable.

I am wondering if this is possible with the docking stations, UD-3900DPZ or UD-ULTCDL. If there are any adapters or cables I would need to purchase to make this work, please recommend those as well.

My current setup:
Laptop: Dell Latitude 5420
Docking Station: UD-3900
Monitors:
Viewsonic Monitor 1 - ViewSonic VG2228WM-LED 22"
Viewsonic Monitor 2 - ViewSonic VA2256-MHD 22 Inch IPS
Lenovo ThinkVision m14

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

At this time we do not offer any solution that enables two displays from the dock + a USB-C Alt Mode monitor through the dock as well. As such unfortunately neither the UD-3900PDZ nor the UD-ULTCDL can support your ThinkVision m14 monitor (as neither dock can output a USB-C Alternate Mode video signal).

The only docks we have that can support your m14 monitor with Alt Mode would be limited to only a single display attached to the dock. So you’d still have a monitor needing to be connected to the computer directly.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

Would purchasing a different portable monitor, say one that supports HDMI work with the UD-3900PDZ or the UD-ULTCDL?

Do you recommend any?

You’re most welcome.

A different portable monitor with a regular HDMI input should indeed work from either docking station.

Alternatively we have also seen some portable monitors use USB-C with DisplayLink USB graphics (instead of Alt Mode) which would also be compatible with the dock.

I must apologize as I do not have a recommended portable monitor model that I have personal experience with.

Best wishes,
Josh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.