A DisplayLink driver update caused a monitor connected with a USB3-HDMI-DVI adapter to go blank.

I am using a UGA-2K-A and a USB3-HDMI-DVI to power two monitors. Today I unfortunately installed the latest DisplayLink driver update. (Currently my version is 7.2.47873.0. I’m not sure if this is the version of the update or my previous version.) My USB3-HDMI-DVI monitor went blank.

The button option to Roll Back Driver in my Device Manager is grayed out. I tried restoring my system to a couple different restore points to no avail. I tried turning off the monitors and unplugging the adapters also to no avail.

Please let me know how to fix this situation. Thanks.

Hi zylstra,

Thanks for posting here! I’m sorry to know about the trouble you are having. With the Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI connected to the system, could you run the DisplayLink Support Tool (instructions here: http://plugable.com/support/displayli…) and send us the .zip it generates on the desktop as as attachment to support@plugable.com along with your Amazon Order ID and a link to this thread?

This will give us a better insight to what is going on the software side. Once we analyze the .zip, we will figure out the best steps to resolve the issue quickly.

Regards,
Roze

I received your advice below, and it worked wonderfully.

Thanks!

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Roze (Plugable Support)
Jun 20 12:58 (PDT)
Hi Roel,
Thanks for contacting us with the .zip! It shows that the firmware on unit is not matching the drivers. Unlike USB 2.0 devices, DisplayLink based USB 3.0 devices have update-able firmware versions. A DisplayLink based device will only function when the driver version installed on the system matches with the firmware version on the chipset. When a device is connected to the system and finds a mismatch in the versions between the firmware on the device and the driver installed on the system, it tries to change its firmware version to match that of the driver version installed on system.
If a disconnect occurs while this update is occurring, the update does not complete and the device gets stuck with a partial firmware version. Once this occurs, the devices would not work. We have had many cases where the partial firmware update was the root cause of the issue. In most cases, we were able to trigger the firmware update by connecting the unit via a different USB 2.0 port on the system and the issue got fixed when the firmware got updated to match the driver version installed on the system.
So as a first step, I’d recommend unplugging the Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI from the system and connecting it to a different USB port on the system to see if Windows pops up a message notifying that the firmware is being updated. If the message pops up, please make sure not to unplug the adapter from the system until the firmware update is completed.
If Windows does not give a notification that the firmware is being updated when the adapter is connected via a different USB 2.0 port on the system, I’d recommend doing an uninstall of the current driver followed by a re-install to see if that would trigger a firmware update on the unit or not. Here are the instructions for the same:

1. Unplug the Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI from the system.
  2. Download and run the DisplayLink install cleaner (http://displaylink.com/techsupport_fi… ) to confirm that the software is completely removed. Reboot the system.
  3. Download and install the DisplayLink 7.2 M1 drivers from http://www.displaylink.com/support/sl… by clicking on ‘Agree’
  4. Once the installation is successful and the system rebooted, connect the Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI to the system. Please make sure not to unplug the device from a USB port if Windows gives a notification that the firmware is being updated until the updation is completed.
    If the issue continues to persist after this, then it is an indication that the firmware on the unit is not getting updated. Please do give it a try and let me know. :slight_smile:
    Thanks!
    Regards,
    Roze
    Operations Manager
    Plugable Technologies
    https://plugable.zendesk.com/attachme…

Message-Id:3JFM7F34_51c35ecf1d5b3_2cbba307465712ef_sprut

Roel,

Fantastic! Glad to know that the issue is fixed. :slight_smile: If you ever need any help or information regarding any of our products, please do feel free to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze