4k TV limited to 800x600 through HDMI port

Razer Blade 16(2023) with RTX 4090 plugged in to dock with provided cable. Dock connected to 4k 60hz TV with HDMI connection, and is limited to 800x600 and comes up as generic monitor in device manager.

I can get native resolution when TV is plugged into laptop via HDMI cable or USB C to HDMI cable. From Razer specs page, USB C port is Thunderbolt 4.

I have restarted the PC, updated software and firmware, and cycled power to the dock.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

This is a bug in the latest branch of the NVIDIA graphics driver, we have reported this issue upstream implement a fix in the NVIDIA graphics drivers, in the meantime we recommend installing a previous driver branch to restore normal display connectivity. We provide step-by-step instructions and a link to the previous driver branch here ( https://kb.plugable.com/question/2123959 ).

Please let me know if this helps to get the display at the expected resolution, and we will update the KB article linked above when this issue has been resolved.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Pat,

This solution worked, except the display is now detected as being plugged into display port. While this is not currently an issue it may be down the line when I use the dock to connect to a home theater or surround sound setup. Its difficult to determine if this will cause issues because it is hard to find an extensive list of supported audio, video, and features for HDMI, DP, and DP to HDMI conversion(which I’m guessing my USB-C to HDMI cable is doing, and what the docks HDMI output should be doing).

Its also a concern that the issue has not been resolved by an Nvidia or Plugable firmware update. I do not like the idea of running 6 month old, and counting, GPU firmware with no solution in sight.

Either way, I do appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know the rolled back drivers have restored the display resolution. It is not an optimal solution but it is what we have while we await an update from NVIDIA to restore the previously functional display detection to the current driver branch.

The displays will be detected as DisplayPort connections, USB Type-C ports only output DisplayPort video data which is converted from DisplayPort to HDMI in the docking station. From the computer’s perspective the external displays are DisplayPort displays.

In most cases DisplayPort and HDMI will encapsulate the same audio capabilities and standards, however when converting from DisplayPort to HDMI some proprietary audio features may not be supported. DisplayPort uses data packets and doesn’t have to be aware of the audio format, simply letting the computer’s audio hardware encode the signal and the display decode the packet at the end. HDMI however uses streaming audio requiring every component to be aware of the audio data type and to transmit the audio data unmodified. For basic 2.1 to 5.1 channel PC audio DisplayPort to HDMI adapters ( like in the docking station, or in any USB-C to HDMI video adapter ) should suffice, however for specific features like Dolby Atmos a media center PC with native HDMI output certified for these audio features may be a better fit.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

I recently got this product. I was able to get it to work after downgrading the NVIDIA Driver. But no the screen flickers, goes off and on randomly every 5-10min more less. I used different HDMI cables and it’s still doing this. Thank you for any help in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, based on your description this could be caused by a variety of factors, I recommend we start by getting some additional details about the computer using our log-gathering tool: PlugDebug, when you have a moment:

1. Keep the docking station connected to the computer with the displays and devices connected to the docking station
  2. Download and run our PlugDebug utility ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug )
    2a) For Windows: Download the PlugDebug Utility, then Right-click on the PlugDebug application and run as administrator
    2b) For macOS: Click on the red button “Generate PlugDebug Report (Deprecated Pending Update)” to expand the section, select the PlugDebug utility from the Downloads pop-up on the Dock, or double-click if saved to the Desktop
    2c) Follow the on screen instructions to launch the application
  3. Click the “Start” button to begin gathering logs from the system
  4. When completed the application will pop-up a message with the name of the zip file containing the logs on the user desktop directory
  5. Please attach this zip file to your reply email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘REF #420344 - Attention Pat’

This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to check for any out of date UEFI/BIOS, firmware, or software to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thank you, I will run the debug tool.
The system specs:

Dell XPS 17 9720
i7-12700H
NVIDIA 3060 6GB
32GB DDR5 4800MHz
2TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.