4k port stops working in our office after a few months. Found temp fix

Hello support team,

We purchased 20 units for our office and we’ve been experiencing similar issues with the 4k port.

In our office, we use a mix of MacBook Pros and Lenovo T480/T490’s. The docking stations give us power delivery and connection to 2x external 1080p monitors. 3 displays in total including the laptop’s screen.

Every couple of months or so, some units will simply stop displaying through the 4k port. We discovered that when we “swap” docking stations between two workstations, the ports start working again. So our office began a wonderful docking station musical chair.

Our current docking station repair protocol is:

1. Restart your computer (fixed 1 case)
  2. Try reinstalling the DisplayLink driver (fixed 3 cases)
  3. Try swapping with a buddy. (usually fixes it if we get to this point)

We love our docks but want to stop doing the whole dance, do you have recommendations on fixes? Maybe you can show me how do a manual factory reset so I don’t need to bother another employee?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

This is quite an interesting problem. Especially hearing that dock musical chairs seems to help when other troubleshooting has not…

Does this problem seem to happen pretty equally on the Macs and Lenovo models? Or does there seem to be a system model that encounters this issue more? If there is a system that seems to encounter this issue more frequently, I’d like to try and grab some diagnostics from it.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer
Plugable Technologies

http://plugable.com | http://performance.plugable.com/

Got the diagnostics in and will be replying today! Thanks for sending them!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just had the same problem here. I have two Plugable USB-C triple display docks. This morning I lost the 4k port on the one I was hooked up to after working fine for a week. I swapped the HDMI cables out to see if the other monitors (same model) would have the problem, and the problem stayed with the 4k port. Multiple reboots, DisplayLink drivers, nothing helped. Then plugged in my other dock (same model), and everything came up. Hoping you’ll keep this thread up to date with whatever benefits the diagnostics bring to the table. Thanks!

Hello scmilliner,

Sorry to hear you’re having similar issues. We’ll be reporting back anything we learn here, though, for the moment we would also recommend having us look into your issue separately as well.

The quickest way would probably be to email us at support@plugable.com

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.