4K port stopped working

Hello. I recently purchased the UD-ULTCDL docking station. I used the UD3900 for about a year with this same laptop (2018 HP X360 Spectre 15T (product #1VW22AV) but wanted both of my external monitors to be at their max resolutions (4K and 1280x1024) and the UD3900 would only allow the HDMI at 1920x1080 over USB 3.0.

Anyway, I plugged in the UD-ULTCDL and everything was working as expected for about 48 hours until the 4K HDMI port stopped working. It still shows as connected in windows display settings but the screen is blank (the DVI monitor is working fine.) I searched the forums and found other references to this same problem and unplugged and then plugged in the docking station and everything worked fine again for another day.

I shouldn’t have to unplug the device every day in order for it to work properly. Is there a driver or firmware fix for this? Please advise before I return the item!

** Update - I have noticed that the 4K port doesn’t work after the computer goes into sleep mode. If I unplug the power from the dock and plug it back in, everything works. **

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

If the 4K port is having trouble maintaining a stable connection, there could be several possibilities as to why. I’d like to first check if you’re connecting the dock using the USB-C cable the dock shipped with, as not all USB-C cables can properly support our dock. If you are using our cable, then I also recommend to make sure the HDMI cable that is being used is rated for 4K 30Hz (HDMI 1.4, or better - preferably HDMI 2.0).

If these suggestions don’t help, we may need to try and collect some diagnostics from the system.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there, mentioning ticket “306871” when you email us the diagnostic results:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Hello Joshua,

I sent the debug file as requested. Please advise ASAP, thanks!

Allen

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

If the 4K port is having trouble maintaining a stable connection, there could be several possibilities as to why. I’d like to first check if you’re connecting the dock using the USB-C cable the dock shipped with, as not all USB-C cables can properly support our dock. If you are using our cable, then I also recommend to make sure the HDMI cable that is being used is rated for 4K 30Hz (HDMI 1.4, or better - preferably HDMI 2.0).

If these suggestions don’t help, we may need to try and collect some diagnostics from the system.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there, mentioning ticket “306871” when you email us the diagnostic results:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies
[/quote]

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.