4 monitor laptop set up! Help

I just bought a new XPS 15 that has a HDMI and a VGA video port. I day trade and I want to be able to have a docking station that will support my quad monitor set up .(I"m running 4 24LG’s they all have VGA and HDMI hook ups). I need the docking stations to have a ethernet port and be able to support a wireless keyboard,mouse and printer… thx for the help

Hi Josh,

Thank you for posting the question here, I am sorry we could not get back to you sooner.

Plugable UD-3900 docking station has two (a DVI and a HDMI) graphics ports, 4 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x USB 3.0 ports, the Gigabit Ethernet port and audio input/output in a unit.
http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900

In order to connect four monitors to your system, you could also use additional USB graphics adapter(s) connecting to the dock.

Based on these information you wrote:

1. Your XPS has a HDMI and VGA video port.
  2. You need to run 4 24LG’s monitors
  3. All the monitions has a VGA and HDMI port

I think you can connect the first monitor directly either connecting the HDMI or VGA video port. (even though there are two ports, I guess you can use either one of them at a time.)
For the second and third ones, you could connect to the UD-3900 docking station. The last 4th one, you could use a USB graphics adapter connecting to one of the USB 3.0 ports of the UD-3900. Since your monitor has a HDMI port, I’d recommend either the following:

The configuration would look like this:
1st monitor: connect directly to the PC, either via VGA or HDMI
2nd: connect to the HDMI port of the UD-3900 via HDMI
3rd: connect to the DVI port of the UD-3900 via VGA, by using the DVI-to-VGA port adapter which comes with the UD-3900.
4th: Using additional USB graphics adapter via HDMI.

Lastly, if you wanted to connect 2.4 Ghz wireless devices such as mouse and keyboard, those and any USB 3.0 devices may interfere their signals each other. If that happened, you would notice that your mouse doesn’t work smoothly or display the pointer correctly or something. The only way to resolve it is, placing the USB 3.0 devices away from the wireless receiver about 10 inches distance or more.

Hope this helps! Please contact us at support@plugable.com directly if you have any further questions!

Regards,
Sachiko
Plugable Support