3 Monitors on UD-ULTC4K (attempting qty. 3 of 2K resolution)

New purchase. Updated drivers on Displaylink version 9.4.3838.0. I have qty. 3 of Viewsonic VX3276-QHD monitors. They are 2K monitors by max resolution. My computer is Lenovo T480S fully updated on all drivers and WIndows Updates. Best Lenovo dock only supports (2) 2K monitors and lower resolution on 3rd which typically maxes out at the strange 2560x1080 which is generally a blur…

Connected single UBS-C cable to Lenovo directly first try. Connected all 3 monitors including (1) HDMI and (2) Display Ports and all 3 monitors came up via 2K resolution confirmed (2560x1440). The stars aligned and all was well. I then permanently installed all the hardware on my primary desk and reconnected everything, yet this time monitor 1 was 2K perfect resolution, but monitors 2/3 showed up as 2560x1080. Strangely monitor 1 shows utilizing my onboard UHD Graphics 620 and the other 2 monitors showed up as utilizing Plugable UD-ULTC4K. The 2 using Plugable seem to max out at 2560x1080???

The connections from my test setup that was perfect and my permanent setup is identical, same cables, same desk, etc. Looking for any clarifying info including possibly forcing all connections to utilize Plugable (presuming it yields 2K baseline resolution per monitor). Also OK with splitting or auto recognizing which video card is used as long as I can simply achieve basic 2K resolution across all 3 identical monitors. I know it’s possible because it worked out of the box when I first connected everything. Then it went back to behavior like my Lenovo dock on 2nd try…

Hi Dave,

Thanks for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Strangely monitor 1 shows utilizing my onboard UHD Graphics 620 and the other 2 monitors showed up as utilizing Plugable UD-ULTC4K.

This is the expected behavior, the HDMI output port uses USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, a direct connection from the computer’s Intel Graphics controller to the USB-C port, through the USB-C cable and to the docking station. The two DisplayPort outputs are controlled by the DisplayLink USB Graphics hardware and software.

2560x1080 is an odd resolution, it does not match the native resolution of the laptop’s built-in display and shouldn’t be the primary advertised resolution of these displays. If you have not already done so I recommend we manually set the resolution to 2560x1440 by performing the following:

1. Connect the displays to the docking station, and the docking station to the computer, verify all three displays are active and that two are at the incorrect resolution
  2. Right-click on the desktop and select Display Settings from the drop down menu
  3. In the Display Settings window, left-click to select one of the displays with the incorrect resolution. (Use the Identify button to map the numbered rectangles in the diagram to the physical displays if unsure)
  4. Scroll down the page until you see the Scale and Layout subsection
  5. From the Display Resolution drop down menu, select 2560x1440 (if available, let me know if this option is not available), the resolution should change immediately, select the option to keep the resoltuion
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the second display with 2560x1080 resolution

Please let me know if this helps to set both displays to the correct 2560x1440 (1440P) resolution, and if these settings stay after restarting the computer.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Pat - thanks for initial reply. Definitely done what you suggested already and the unusual 2560x1080 resolution for monitors 2 & 3 is the max resolution avaialble for choice in the display settings. I have triple checked latest UDH 620 drivers, latest Displaylink drivers, restarted repeatedly, swapped USB-C connection on my Lenovo T480S between both USB-C ports, etc. No change. Craziest thing in the world that all 3 monitors were perfectly operating on 2K resolution out of the box and when I put the hardware in it’s permanent location, it seems to have changed… I even tried disabling UHD 620 to force all monitors on to Plugable but that just engaged basic display drivers on monitor 1, no change on other 2.

Hi Dave,

That is very odd. I would like to try updating to the DisplayLink 10.1 M0 drivers to see if this helps. This is a newer driver released by DisplayLink that we have not yet completed testing, however so far it looks like it offers better compatibility with the latest Windows 10 20H2 release:

Please try these clean installation procedures below and let me know if this helps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it → https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 10.1 M0 DisplayLink software, found here → https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+10.1+M0.exe
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.

Please let me know if that helps to enable the correct display resolutions for these displays.

Additionally, between moving the displays, cables, and docking station from the test setup into the final setup were any of the DisplayPort cables either zip-tied, hook & loop-tied, or otherwise connected to a monitor stand or monitor support? If the cables are pulled tight against either the DisplayPort output ports on the docking station or input ports on the displays it could be causing a limited connection between the dock and displays.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

WOW. Speechless. On a hunch, started looking at every single video cable feeding between monitors and Plugable. Monitor 1 was HDMI to HDMI. Monitors 2/3 were Displayport (plugable side) to HDMI (monitor side). Exchanged one for Display to Display and magically 2K resolution appeared. Same for monitor 3… Any reply that might confirm why an HDMI to Display cable would yield the odd max resolution would be awesome. I have been tinkering with multiple variants of this issue on multiple docking stations for months. I think it’s actually working, right and repeatable.

Hi Dave,

Great catch on the DisplayPort to HDMI cables, many of these cables are passive adapter cables that are only rated for 1920x1080 (1080P) resolution and may also suffer from outside interference which can limit the maximum resolution depending on how they are installed and used. DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables are a bit over-built and almost all DisplayPort cables are capable of 4K resolution or higher ( only very early cables are not certified for 4K ).

If possible I would recommend using DisplayPort cables for the best connection.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable
support@plugable.com