3 monitor extended setup using adapters with laptop for gaming purposes

Will this setup work?

I would like to connect my HP Envy DV7073-CA laptop to 3 external monitors, two of them being 20" and the center monitor a bit larger. My laptop has 3 USB 3.0 ports, 1 USB 2.0 port, 1 HDMI and 1 VGA port. The laptop is running Windows 8 and I would like to extend the display such that the 3 monitors will display games or videos using the space on all 3. Would the Plugable USB 3.0 to HDMI/DVI Adapter suit my needs and if so how many would I need? Would it be 2 if I use the HDMI port on my laptop? The graphics card is an NVIDIA Geforce GT 630M 2GB.

If not, will the 3 monitor setup I describe still work for other less graphics intensive tasks? What are my setup options? Thanks.

Hi Darren-

Thanks for posting with your question.

While we can’t recommend even our latest USB 3.0 Graphics devices for 3d scenarios like gaming, this sort of setup will work beautifully for day-to-day web browsing, media streaming, etc.

Generally speaking the most convenient setup is to have all the USB graphics adapters connected through a powered USB hub: this way only one USB cable is needed to connect all the devices on the hub- including the displays, printer, or other USB devices connected to the hub.

I hope this helps, however please let me know if you’ve any other questions!

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies