3.0 USB Sharing switch doesn't switch monitors

Hi I recently purchased the pluggable USB sharing swtich and have an issue. I have my switch hooked up to a 3.0 Startech doc and plugged into the doc are several USB devices (webcam, headphones, mouse, keyboard ect.) and two monitors connected via display port. I am switching between a desktop and a laptop. Both the desktop and laptop are usb3 compatible. The laptop has a dedicated USB C port to connect to a dock, the PC does not, and is just connected via a normal USB A port. The usb devices switch perfectly from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa, the issue is with the monitor switching.

My desktop and laptop both connect to the monitors fine in isolation. (Meaning that both the PC and Desktop successfully project onto the monitors through the USB switch BEFORE pressing the switch button to move between the laptop and desktop. )

When I press the switch and the desktop is active the system switches perfectly from the desktop to the laptop.

When I press the switch and the laptop is active the monitors both freeze and don’t switch tot he desktop.

If unplug the laptop from the switch the monitors both freeze and don’t switch to the desktop.

If I unplug the DOCK from the switch AND the laptop from the switch then the Desktop will load on the monitors.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable support!

I’d like to ask a few questions to help isolate the issue a bit more.

Does this issue still occur on the same port if you 1) swap the USB cables or 2) swap computers from one USB “Type-B” (port on the switch) to the other?

Since the issue seems to be the desktop computer,** **try different USB ports on that computer (USB 2.0, USB 3.0) to determine if it affects all USB ports or only certain ones.

If these steps don’t help, I’d like to request some logs from your Desktop system to investigate further.

Could you please keep the Plugable switch and Startech Dock connected to your Desktop system (with the non-working displays still attached), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) and follow the instructions there?

Please include “Ticket 349232” in the email so we could help further!

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out with those log files.

Do you mind sending me the model number or picture of the Startech dock you’re using with your system?

Based on the log files, I see a Startech USB-C docking station connected to the system.

Some USB-C docking stations require USB-C(Alt-mode), which our USB Sharing switch doesn’t support.

Our USB switch works best with simple USB devices like USB 3.0 Docking stations, keyboards, mice, thumb drives, etc.

With this information, I can provide the next steps.

Thank you for allowing us to help,

Omar D.
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.