2020 MacBook Pro 13" with M1 Chip Not Driving Dell Monitors

I’m having issues getting two Dell monitors (E2311Hf & E2210c) working with this dock. Note that the monitors have DVI and VGA input ports, Initially, I was able to get one working using a DVI to HDMI cable along with the HDMI to DP adaptor supplied by pluggable. Since I didn’t have two of those cables available, I ordered 2 DVI to display port cables thinking it would be better to eliminate adaptors. I currently have both displays connected to the dock with these two new cables, and the dock is not driving either display. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Hello Peter,

Thanks for contacting Plugable support! I’m sorry to hear about this display issue through your Plugable TBT3-UDC1 docking station, but I’d be happy to help.

Unfortunately, the M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air only support a single external display per Apple specifications due to limitations with the M1 graphics. Two monitors will not be possible with any Thunderbolt 3 docking station, such as the TBT3-UDC1 with these first-generation M1 systems. This dock is expected to work with one display on the M1 MacBook.

Additionally, The DP ports on the TBT3-UDC1 docking station are standard DP ports. Active adapters or cabling is required to convert from DP to HDMI/DVI/DP.

I suspect you are using a passive DP to DVI cable, which would require a DP++ port (or dual-mode DisplayPort port).

If this device doesn’t fit your needs, one option is returning the device to Amazon directly. You can do this by logging into your Amazon account and viewing the order. From there, Amazon will provide further instructions on how to process the return for a refund.

Thank you for considering Plugable!

So, this article from Plugable indicates the two displays are possible with the MacBook with M1 chip. If I return the dock I have, which one should I get and what cables will I need? Please advise.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for reaching back out to Plugable.

I can recommend our UD-ULTC4K docking station for your M1 Macbook. This docking station is supported with macOS 11 and the M1 Apple Mac Systems ( MacBook Pro M1, MacBook Air M1, and Mac Mini M1 ) for supporting three external displays.

However, due to an update to macOS 11, the docking station may not be detected when the computer restarts. We recommend unplugging the docking station from the computer, then reconnecting it after macOS has completed loading. We are hopeful this will be resolved by an update to macOS but do not have a timeline for such a resolution.

Please feel free to reach out to Plugable support with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.