2017 Macbook Pro 8gb - 3 Displays

Hello! I am planning on using: Plugable USB-C 4K Triple Display Docking Station with Charging Support for Specific USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Windows and Mac Systems (1x HDMI and 2x DisplayPort++ Outputs, 5x USB Ports, 60W USB PD)

with a triple 24 Inch Dell U2415 IPS UltraSharp setup (I don’t need the native 2017 macbook display).

I wanted to ask the experts here if it was possible to do so before I pulled the trigger on all the purchases.

Would it work? Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us, I am happy to help!

These Dell U2415 displays have the following specifications ( https://www.dell.com/lv/business/p/dell-u2415/pd ):
Optimal resolution:
1920 x 1200 at 60Hz

Connectivity
2 HDMI(MHL) connector
1 Mini DisplayPort
1 DisplayPort (version 1.2)
1 DisplayPort out (MST)
1 Audio Line out (connect your speakers)
5 USB 3.0 ports - Downstream (5 at the back, 1 with battery charging)
1 USB 3.0 port - Upstream

Based on the above I would expect these would work well with the Plugable UD-ULTC4K Triple Display Docking Station ( https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k ) and a 2017 MacBook with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C output ports.

Our USB-C Triple Display docking stations require installing the DisplayLink manager App for macOS 10.5.16->11.2.3 ( https://kb.plugable.com/questions/799275 ), this installation requires administrative permissions on the system. If this is a computer provided by your business I recommend checking with your IT department to verify you have permissions to install the DisplayLink software. Additionally, we recommend our USB-C Triple Display Docking stations for use with office and web browsing software, due to the limited USB 3.0 bandwidth and reduced hardware graphics acceleration available to the DisplayLink software, the two DisplayLink controlled external displays may not perform well for full screen video playback, 2D or 3D graphics applications, video editing software, or some stock trading applications. The single USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode display will have full hardware graphics acceleration and will perform similarly to the laptop’s built-in display.

For connecting the displays, I recommend the most used/primary display should be connected to the docking station’s HDMI output port using a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. The second and third display may then be connected using DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables to the full sized DisplayPort input ports on the displays. Please note, these displays also have DisplayPort output ports which are not compatible with this docking station or macOS ( these ports will be non-functional, and do not operate as input ports ).

The docking station can replace an Apple power supply rated up to 65W for most systems, for laptops with higher rated power supplies the docking station will be able to power the computer for light to moderate tasks, however under heavy load the system may discharge the battery. It may be necessary to connect the original power supply if it is rated over 65W.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com