2 computers with sharing switch, but only one works

Hi,

I’ve just received my Plugable USB 3.0 sharing switch. I’m trying to share items on a monitor-based USB hub keyboard & mouse (Logitech dongle) and USB audio (Audioengine 2+). The monitor with the hub is a Philips BDM3270.

1. Desktop computer, Win7, motherboard USB 3.0.
  2. MacBook Pro (2018) - USB 3.0 is coming from a Mantiz Venus eGPU connected to the MacBook via Thunderbolt 3.

The desktop works fine: with the switch installed the appropriate light on the switch indicates the connected channel (tested both channels, and both work).

The MacBook works fine with the eGPU USB 3.0 connected directly to the monitor hub input. However, with the switch in place, both blue LEDS on the switch sort-of half-illuminate and there is no connection to the devices on the USB hub.

Any advice on getting the switch to work with both systems so I can make use of the switch?

Thanks!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your post. I see both this post and your direct message to our support email. Chances are this a downstream/upstream issue either with the eGPU or the USB stream via Thunderbolt 3.

This is incredibly specific and intricate, so it will be easier to communicate via email. Please refer to the message I just sent you so we can dig into this further.

Thanks,

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Technologies

Thanks Derek - detailed reply sent!

Hi Richard,

I just want to close this thread out as well. As we’ve discussed, Intel does not recommend hubs and switches downstream from Thunderbolt 3 devices, so, unfortunately, this is the likely culprit with your eGPU enclosure and the odd switch behavior.

I’m sorry we were unable to get this working for you, but am glad we were able to get you a refund for the troubles.

Thanks,

Derek Nuzum
Plugable Technologies