Only one monitor works and flickers

I have a new Macbook Pro with an apple M3 max. I downloaded drivers, and restarted my computer, and only 1 monitor shows up and it flickers on and off. Any help would be appreciated.

Well after an hour of trying different things, I found the issue partially lies with the Display Link. I messed around with it and got the dock to display 3 monitors but it treated the 4th as an extension of the third. I had to unplug it and hdmi it directly to the laptop. It now works but would have been nice if all four monitors could work off the dock. If there is a solution I would appreciate it. If not, I will go with the current setup.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! I would be happy to shed some light on why this is occurring.

The behaviour you saw with one of the displays being treated as an extension/mirror is expected on Apple systems.

While the M3 Max chipset can support up to 4 independent displays, it does not support Multi-Stream Transport (MST) through DisplayPort Alt Mode, which is required for the UD-3900C4 to support four displays. This technology allows a single display signal from the GPU to be split, enabling it to display on two monitors.

Given this limitation, your current configuration is the easiest route to achieve four displays. If this is a recent purchase, you could also consider returning the dock and opting for a triple display option.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Adi
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for letting me know! I like the dock and will keep it and go with the current set up. Good to know the problem is on my end.

It’s my pleasure to help!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Adi

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.