NVMe USB C Enclosure Intermittent Transfer and Slow Speed

I forgot when did I buy this product but I have the S/N, and it has been a weird issue that when I transfer large files like anything larger than 1GB, it goes up to 300MB/s then drops to 0MB/s for 30 seconds, then went back up again, sometimes it even timed out. I checked that there is another customer posted here having the exact issue, I just want to check if mine is still under warranty or not. Please email me if it’s okay that I forward my S/N or if there is a debug tool, I can run and send back logs.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

May I ask the manufacturer name and model of the NVMe SSD installed into the enclosure? NVMe SSDs with limited or no cache may show reduced performance after filling up the cache on the drive itself, this generally only limits the speed rather than reducing it to zero or timing out, however if the limited cache is being filled and is unable to write to the flash memory it could be causing the temporary pauses in transfer.

We can also gather some log files from the computer to see if there are any device detection issues:

1. Keep the adapter connected to the computer with the NVMe SSD installed and before starting a data transfer ( while it is detected )
  2. Download and run our PlugDebug utility ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug )
    2a) For Windows: Download the PlugDebug Utility, then Right-click on the PlugDebug application and run as administrator
    2b) For macOS: Click on the red button “Generate PlugDebug Report (Deprecated Pending Update)” to expand the section, select the PlugDebug utility from the Downloads pop-up on the Dock, or double-click if saved to the Desktop
    2c) Follow the on screen instructions to launch the application
  3. Click the “Start” button to begin gathering logs from the system
  4. When completed the application will pop-up a message with the name of the zip file containing the logs on the user desktop directory
  5. Please attach this zip file to your reply email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #427650 - Attention Pat’
  6. Please also start a data transfer, and when performance drops to 0MB/s please re-run the PlugDebug log gathering tool and attach this second log file to your reply email.

This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com