How to connect to Dell Latitude 3190

Hi. I have the Plugable Docking station UD-6950 set up for use with my HP Zbook laptop. This setup is for work (I work from home). I would like to be able to unplug my work laptop and plug in my personal computer to use the same monitors, mouse, keyboard, etc. However, I don’t see how I should plug my home computer in. It’s the Dell Latitude 3190 laptop, and it doesn’t seem to have the same port as the one used by the ZBook. How can I plug my Dell into the Plugable Docking Station? The only ports I see are USB Type A ports and an HDMI port.

It turns out that the USB A port works when you use a USB A to USB C converter cable.

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! My name is Sam and I’ll be happy to assist.

As you had mentioned, one of the ways to achieve this is to use an adapter from USB-A to USB-C so only one USB cable is needed to share between the two computers. There are a couple alternatives I’d like to outline as well:

Firstly, the UD-6950 comes with both USB 3.0 and USB-C cables. These can be switched out at the back of the dock to allow it to connect to computers with each type of port. You can see each of these cables called out in this image from the page for UD-6950:

Secondly, you could use a USB 3.0 Sharing Switch (such as USB3-SWITCH2) as a more permanent solution that wouldn’t require repeatedly unplugging/replugging cables. In this setup, you can connect the dock to the USB-A port on the USB3-SWITCH2, then each computer can be connected to the switch using a USB-B to USB-C and USB-B to USB-A cable respectively. Once everything is set up you’d be able to switch the dock and peripherals between your two computers with the press of a button on the USB switch.

We have blog post which goes into more detail about how setups like these work, and it even includes a setup diagram showing how everything would connect. If you’re interested in reading more you can find the post by clicking here.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a great day!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.