Where is the 1920x1080 option?

I have installed my two new UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 UGA multi-display adapters, and downloaded and installed the latest driver. I have 3 identical monitors hooked up. The first to the portables external monitor DVI port, and the other 2 to the adapters. The external port monitor offers either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, as always. But the 2 hooked up via the adapters offer 1920x1200, with the next option 1600x1200. The specs for the adapters list a 1920x1080 option, but it does not appear in the list. That is the option I need. Any ideas?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for posting! What you’re seeing makes sense – the monitor’s native mode is 1920x1200, and then the monitor is reporting (through EDID), that the next best mode after that is 1600x1200. DisplayLink’s drivers will only offer the modes the monitor says are OK (not any of the ones in between).

Some more background:

* Every monitor reports their capabilities through a block of data which is returned to the graphics adapter (the monitor’s EDID). This information includes what the monitor’s native mode is, plus a list of a few alternate lower modes in case the graphics adapter can’t reach the highest mode (these alternates usually try to have the same aspect ratio as the native mode).

* Some graphics adapters offer a longer list of default/backup modes to users, using generic/default timings, including ones that the monitor hasn’t reported supporting. The downside of this is some modes may just not work – they’ll come up black or out of sync, etc.

* DisplayLink’s drivers philosophically take the more conservative path - they only offer the modes the monitor tells them to (plus 1 or two modes that Windows itself adds like 800x600 and 1024x768). This makes it less likely the user can select a mode that won’t work on that monitor.

So unfortunately, if your monitor is not reporting 1920x1080 as a supported mode in its EDID, DisplayLink’s drivers will not offer it. And there isn’t a way to override the EDID or add other modes (with default timings).

Sorry for the bad news.

Can you say what’s leading you to not use the monitor’s full native resolution of 1920x1200?

Thanks!
Bernie

Thank you for responding to my query. My monitors do indeed have a native resolution of 1920x1200. Likewise, their specs indicate their next step is the 1600x1200 that the adaptor listed. The reason I am looking for 1920x1080 is that I am planning on a demo using this laptop in another city, where I will be hooking into 3 HDTVs with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 each. Based on your very informative answer, I take it that when I hook into those HDTV’s I should find the 1920x1080 option…so I will have exactly what I want?

Hi Craig,

Yes, exactly! They automatically adjust for the monitor – setting 1920x1080 on any HDTV that reports that as their native mode. So you will have exactly what you want.

Only one potential caution about TVs: Not all TVs are PC compatible (or sometimes only the VGA input of the TV is, and the HDMI input is not). So going in without prior testing of particular TV is a little risky, but you may be able to confirm by looking at the HDTV’s manual, etc. (look for instructions on hooking up PCs to the TV).

But other than that one thing to look out for, you should be all good. Let us know if you have any trouble at all.

Thank you!
Bernie