USB to GigE directly into a Router?

I’d like to buy this: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)
to connect my Passport USB Drive to my router that does not have a USB Port.

The Passport needs power from the USB. The router should support standard windows-compatible chip set.

Think it will work?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting your question here! No, you cannot use the Plugable Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter to connect the Passport to the router. If you are interested, here is some more information on why:

The Plugable Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter is a USB 2.0 male A to RJ45 female adapter supporting Gigabit Ethernet at USB 2.0 speeds. It adds another Ethernet interface to your PC/laptop, via USB.

The most common usage is for people who want to add an additional network interface to their computer/laptop via a simple USB adapter to improve the connectivity speed when a Gigabit Ethernet network is available.

As with all typical USB devices, the Plugable Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter only works when it is connected to an upstream computer host. The installation of drivers and configuring of network settings for this device is done on the host. Without any network settings, no connectivity is possible between the LAN Adapter and the connected router.

Similarly the Passport also needs to be connected to an upstream computer host through USB in order to be able to function properly. In other words, the setup you are describing will not work.

If you need any information regarding any of our products, feel free to post it here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com . We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze