USB Graphics Performance on OS X

I recently bought a Macbook Air with 10.8.4, and although the display works, the audio does not and the video is very choppy, like a VNC connection.

Is this normal, or should the video be smooth? I also noticed that if I plug my wireless keyboard and mouse dongle into the dock, the cursor response is very choppy and unusable. If I plug the same dongle into the Macbook Air, it is crisp and fluid in its motion. Is this normal behavior?

I really want to like the Pluggable dock (because it is so affordable and it was well-reviewed on Amazon), but I will have to return it if the audio is broken, and the video and USB functions are unusable.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Plugable not working with 10.8.4 topic.

Hi nrdingr-

Thanks for posting with your issue, I’ll be happy to help!

I’d like to first break this down into what I think are actually 3 different questions/topics:

1. 2.4 ghz wireless device interference with USB 3.0 ports is a known issue. Connecting wireless devices to USB 2.0 ports (such as those on the back of the dock) instead may help. Intel has published a white paper which provides additional details:
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/e…

2. USB 3.0 Audio support for OS X:
    USB audio is supported only via USB 2.0 for OS X at this time. We’re hopeful that a future OS X update will pave the way for a DisplayLink driver update to add this for USB 3.0, but for the time being this is not supported, and we can’t promise any timeframe for when this will be added as development here depends on the release of an update to OS X.

3. Video performance from the dock:
    For most common applications, we expect you should have a great experience with USB graphics on OS X, however it is important to note that there are specific applications/features that have issues. Generally speaking, we expect that users can have a great experience with “productivity” applications like web browsing, documents, spreadsheets, and typically, streaming videos from the web.

The most common complaint with a quick and easy resolution is that browsers featuring hardware/GPU graphics acceleration tend to have issues on USB attached displays. Especially for FireFox and Chrome users, disabling hardware acceleration is recommended.

If you can share some details about whether the issues you’re seeing seem relate to any specific applications, we may have recommendations about other settings like disabling hardware acceleration in the browsers that can help. Having a copy of the output from the DisplayLink support tool emailed (with a link to this thread) to support@plugable.com will also help me recommend any relevant workarounds/fixes:
http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies