usb-c docking ubuntu 17.10 hdmi

I have a ud-ultcdl I am trying to use it with ubuntu 17.10 on a Oryx Pro 3 and the usb and ethernet worked out of the box. I did install the displaylink driver but the hdmi doesn’t work or the charging over usb-c. I didn’t expect the charging to work but would really like to get the hdmi working any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Based on the description of the issue (and the individual system you are utilizing) we could be running into a problem associated with compatibility. In order to utilize the 4K HDMI port on the UD-ULTCDL, your system needs to include a USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 type port. The Oryx Pro 3 does include 3.1 Gen 1 ports, but this does not support VESA Alt-Mode. It does look as if the 17" version as a Thunderbolt 3 port. Do you have the 15" or 17" version?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to Mark and obtain some additional information regarding his system model, and if the problem could be related to an incompatibility with the docking station, but we did not receive a response back.

If Mark would like to continue troubleshooting, or anyone else has any similar issues or questions, please feel free to contact us directly at support@plugable.com

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Sorry for the late response. I have the 15inch version. Ok so no way to get the display to work just over USB 3.0. Is there another product I could use for a dock?

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for getting back to us! I appreciate you letting us know the individual model version you are utilizing. I am sorry to hear that it is one of the incompatible units that we have seen other customers have issues with, but we would be more than happy to help work through a refund for you, if you could contact us directly at support@plugable.com

In regards to the USB 3.0 docking stations we offer, they would be compatible with your system, but not the individual Ubuntu operating system that you are using. We currently do not provide compatibility or support for Linux based systems.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist! As soon as you can send over your individual order information, we can work through providing a full refund for the UD-ULTCDL.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

After reviewing the specifications and unique model that Mark was utilizing with our UD-ULTCDL, we came to the conclusion that his particular system is not fully compatible with the docking station, and provided additional information for sending his order information over, so that we could provide a full refund for the docking station.

If anyone else is having any similar problems, or has any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support