USB-C docking station "forgets" HDMI monitor

I installed a Plugable UD-CA1A USB-C docking station at my desk at work. I’m using a MacBook Pro 2016 edition and a Samsung 40MU6290FXZA 40" 4K HDTV for my display. Every morning, I turn on the monitor, plug in the MBP, and then I have to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable on the back of the dock, because the dock will not recognize the monitor otherwise. Once I do this the dock works fine for the remainder of the day, but I have to repeat this every day.

Any suggestions how I can remedy this?

Hello James, thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear of this behavior and I will be happy to help.

If possible to try, does the same issue occur if you connect to another monitor? Understood if that is not possible to test.

Pending that information can you let us now the version of MacOS you are running and the specific graphic configuration for your MacBook Pro (are you using one with only Intel graphics or does it also have a discreet Nvidia card)? If unknown, please follow these steps to generate a System Report:

1. Choose the Apple Menu -> About This Mac.
  2. From the window that appears, click on the ‘System Report’ button.
  3. A System Information window will appear. From the application menu bar, click on File -> Save… to save the information to a file.
  4. Attach the saved file to an email to our direct support email address at support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket Number 212526’ in the subject line

We’ll examine the report and determine next steps from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hello James, we have received the System Report and nothing seems to jump out to me when examining the report that could cause this. We also have the same MacBook Pro in our labs for testing (but not the same TV) but we do not see this same behavior.

If it is not possible to test with another monitor, we would want to send you a replacement dock to make sure that the hardware is working properly. In order to facilitate this process, we will reach out to you directly.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support