Hi Tony, Thanks for posting! Sorry to hear that our adapter is not working as expected with your Surface Book and I will be happy to help!
It is very possible that the adapter itself is faulty, and we would be happy to send you a replacement if this is the case. We will want to check a couple things in order to make sure that a replacement adapter does not behave in the same manner. Based off of your description, we will want to reinstall the DisplayLink drivers and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool in order to make sure the software that runs our adapter is in a good state. To do this, please follow these steps:
- Disconnect the adapter from your system. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
- Uninstall the DisplayLink Core software from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if this fails, just move onto the next step
- Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
- Run Windows Update (Start > Settings > Update & security). Reboot if/when prompted. Repeat this process until there are no new updates found. This is important as Microsoft has been releasing frequent updates to Windows 10.
- Now download and install the 7.9 M5 DisplayLink software, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
- Reconnect the adapter to your system when prompted by the installer which will trigger the final portion of the installation
If that helps, great! If not, … we’ll want to examine some log files to see if they can tell us what is happening. To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug --> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug with everything connected. Please send the file that is created to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Ticket 139110’ in the subject line so we can match everything up. We will examine the contents of the logs and determine next steps from there.