UD-6950H Not Compatible with OpenGL 2.0

I updated Cura from v4.0.0 to v4.1.0 and it will now not open using my current display config:

Current Screen Config (not working)

• (2) HDMI monitors through UD-6950H

Observed Working Screen Config (working)

• Laptop screen direct, Plugable disconnected

Here is the error observed:

error

Here is my laptop’s config. Thoughts?

Hi Justin,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

Unfortunately our DisplayLink based USB 3.0 docking stations have limited support for low-level hardware graphics acceleration like OpenGL. Cura has been using OpenGL for many versions and is designed to determine the best version for the current system hardware, but may not be aware of the docking station’s limitations. Most likely an unsupported function is being called by the 4.10 version that was not being used in the 4.0 version.

We can check to see if there are any updates available to the system’s graphics drivers and DisplayLink software that may be able to enable these OpenGL functions, however it may be that this version of Cura is not compatible with the docking station.

Our first step is to get some additional information from your system.

If you would, please keep the dock connected and both monitors attached and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #276209 - Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine if there are any software updates that may help.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Justin,

Thanks for sending the system log files! Based on the logs the NVIDIA graphics driver has been recently updated but the Intel Graphics Driver has not been updated since driver version 21.20.16.4550 in 2016. The DisplayLink Graphics Software is able to integrate into the Intel Graphics Driver to provide limited access to low level hardware acceleration. Because this system uses a hybrid graphics ( the ability to switch between the Intel controller and the NVIDIA controller ) the Intel Graphics Drivers drivers must be approved and provided by ASUS, however ASUS has not released any updates.

We can attempt to force a driver update from Windows update to see if a more current driver provides for additional OpenGL support. Please perform the following:

1. Close or minimize any open applications
  2. Right-click on the start menu and select “Device Manger” from the popup menu
  3. Expand the “Display Adapters” section
  4. Right-click on the Intel Graphics Adapter entry and select “Properties” from the drop down menu
  5. Select the driver tab, then the “Update Driver” button
  6. Select “Search Automatically for updated driver software”

The system will search the system for new drivers first, and if none are found an option will be provided to “Search for updated drivers on Windows Update” at the bottom of the window. Selecting this option will open Windows Update, select the Check for Updates button if none are pending and the system will search for available updates and install any new updates.

Please let me know if this helps to find a newer Intel Graphics Driver for the system.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello Justin,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com