UD-3900 USB 3.0 Docking Station causing laptop to freeze and crash

I am basically encountering the same issue as the user in this issue that was using the USB 3.0 HDMI Adapter, though the resolution wasn’t made publicly available: https://c.getsatisfaction.com/plugable/topics/new_usb_3_0_hdmi_adapter_causes_computer_to_freeze

When I plug my Plugable into my laptop and use it, the laptop will randomly freeze and be unable to perform any actions other than me doing a hard reset on the laptop. This has been going on for a month or more now and yesterday I heard my HDD get overloaded while freezing.

There were no issues with using this device when I first got it. Only change I can think of that happened was a Windows update. I have already tried using the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner application for the version 8.4 drivers, restarting and reinstalling the latest drivers (8.4) twice, but this issue has persisted. My laptop had already been on Windows 10 when I first used Plugable and it worked fine. I have run my laptop disconnected from the Plugable Device for hours and it is running fine, so can confirm the issue is with this device and not my laptop hardware.

Setup:

Laptop- Sony vaio vpcf126fm (don’t believe it has USB 3.0 support)

Plugable product: UD-3900

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting, and I would be happy to help with your docking station.

Thank you as well for the excellent detail you provided and the troubleshooting you have already performed that is much appreciated. The previous case you link to was using Windows 7, and with Microsoft having added support for USB video devices like our UD-3900 into Windows 10 itself, our dock should not be able to cause a system crash so the behavior you describe is both unexpected and unusual.

Our next step is to get some additional information from your system. If you would just after the behavior has occurred and the system has been reset, please keep dock connected to the system and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to us directly at support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket # 218089’ in the subject line.

This will allow us to match things up and examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. Please also include your Amazon Order ID number for the docking station purchase, available from Amazon.com/orders, in your email (please don’t post either in the public forum).

Thank you!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support