UD-3900: keyboard freezes, followed by computer a couple of minutes later

Hi

I have had my UD-3900 for about a year, with no problems up to now.

Over the last few days, the following has occurred a number of times:

• Connected keyboard freezes (but laptop keyboard still functions, as does mouse)
  • A minute or two later, the entire computer freezes and cursor disappears - I can’t even get CTRL-ALT-DEL on the laptop keyboard to do anything, so I have to force a power down.

This has happened a number of times, and the external keyboard is always the first sign that something is wrong.

Here’s my configuration, in case it’s useful to know:

• Connected equipment: Ethernet to USB3 (via adaptor), external hard drive to USB3, keyboard, mouse, printer and scanner to USB2.
  • External display connected to UD-3900 via HDMI.
  • Computer is a Windows 10 laptop.

I have had this configuration for some time (though I sometimes connect different peripherals on the USB2 ports). Once a week I take my laptop (but not my docking station) to a different office and connect a display directly via HDMI.

Any suggestions how to remedy this?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry the system is not behaving as expected and I am happy to help!

The freezing could be indicative of a software problem, our first step is to reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ installation of the required DisplayLink drivers to help ensure both are in a good state. Please perform the following:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+9.1.1462.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it → https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 9.0 M1 DisplayLink software, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+9.0+M1.exe
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.

Please let us know if that helps get things working how they should, and we’ll go from there.

Pat
Plugable Technology
Support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies