UD-3900 impacting ethernet speeds here also

Hi

We have just purchased a UD-9300 to connect to a Lenovo V110-15ISK

When connecting the ethermnet through the UD-9300 we are seeing unusably slow speeds.

We are only using a 10Mbps switch and are getting full rate with the ethernet connected to the Laptop directly.
When connected to the UD-9300 we are seeing 500Kbps or lower rendering the connection useless.

This is the same issue reported unter topic UD-3900 impacting ethernet speeds

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected with the 10Mbps switch.

This docking station has a limited capability Ethernet controller that does not support half-duplex connections and will have limited performance on some older networking hubs and switches that utilize half-duplex connections. Can you let me know the manufacturer name and model number of the 10Mbps switch and I can see if there is documentation available from the manufacturer that may help to provide details on why this is not working as expected.

Additionally do you have a modern Gigabit switch, either embedded in the router or directly connected to the router that can be used to test as well? This will eliminate the 10Mbps switch to verify if that is the cause of the reduced networking performance.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com

Hi there,

The switch is a Netgear EN104TP, which on investigation is half duplex!

I will see if we can replace this switch and retest the speeds.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the additional details and testing, I can confirm the Netgear EN104TP 10Mbps Ethernet Hub is not compatible with the docking station. I recommend using a gigabit Ethernet Switch, these are widely available and can provide for significantly better performance, especially when connecting to multiple computers. Hubs like the EN104TP broadcast data packets out all connected ports while switches target the packet to the port with the destination computer connected. This helps to reduce network congestion and increase throughput between devices. Additionally the speed improvements from 10Mbps to 1Gbps are significant for file transfers, web page loading times etc.

Please note, additional 10Mbps hubs in between the docking station and the destination device or network router will cause the connection speed to be reduced to 10Mbps.

Thank you, and I a look forward to your update.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com