UD-3900 docking station cannot pass maximum connection speed to computer

I recently upgraded my Comcast Internet package to their Extreme 250. Although my modem was re-provisioned correctly, I was only getting a maximum download speed in the 150 Mbps range, and upload speed in the 10-12 Mbps range. My original configuration was this: modem > WiFi router > UD-3900 > computer. Thinking that there was an issue with my $200 Nighthawk AC1900 router, I spent many hours on the phone with Netgear. One of the troubleshooting steps we performed was to bypass the Plugable docking station and connect the router directly to my computer. Lo and behold, my connection speed instantly jumped to 260-300 Mbps down, and 30 Mbps up. So, my question is this: Is the UD-3900 not capable of passing the maximum possible Internet speeds to my computer? If so, what good is it? Does Plugable make a docking station that can do this?

Hi Karen,

Thanks for posting, and I would be happy to help.

We have already responded to your direct email to support@plugable.com, but our first step is to completely reset the docking station as it should be capable of supporting the higher speed of your connection. If you would, please disconnect both the power and the USB cables from the back of the dock and keep them disconnected for at least 30 seconds. Reconnect the power cable and wait at least 10 seconds and then reconnect the USB cable and test the speeds when the Ethernet cable is connected through the dock again.

If that helps, great! If not, please just respond to our direct email reply with the output of our PlugDebug utility (http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug) as that will help us determine the next steps. Don’t post the log file here, only send it via direct email.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

1 Like