Transfer data from broken screen computers

Is the pluggable usb 2.0 easy transfer cable the correct item to use for transferring data from a laptop with a broken screen to a new laptop please?

Hi John,

Thanks for the question. With the easy transfer cable, you need to run software on both connected computers to get in a state where the file transfer can occur. You can’t just connect the two and manage everything from one computer. Therefore, the process will be much easier if you have working screens on both computers to see what is going on.

Do you have a spare monitor you could connect to the laptop with the broken screen? That would make things much easier.

If not, you might be able to go through the process blind by the following method.

If the laptop with the broken screen has Windows 7 on it already, you will not have to install the Windows Easy Transfer software–it already will be there. It will be invoked as soon as you plug in the easy transfer cable.

Therefore, when you connect it to a new Windows 7 PC, you can watch on the new PC to see what the prompts are and “fly blind” on the old PC with regard to the mouse click/keyboard commands you need to take at each step to get to a point where the computers are connected.

If you can get to that state, you’ll ultimately be able to choose from the new PC what to transfer from the old PC. But getting there might be hard.

What OS is on the laptop with the broken screen? If it is not Windows 7, then you first will have to install the Windows Easy Transfer software there, which may just be to daunting to try without being able to see what is going on.

I hope I’ve answered your question, but if you need additional information about the easy transfer cable, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies