Toggle computers with monitors via plugable 3.0 adapter

Hi! I am not an IT person by ANY stretch, so I apologize if this is a silly question. I have a personal Dell desktop computer and a dual Acer monitor setup. I recently started a new job and they have provided me with a Lenovo laptop and a Plugable USB Dual Head Graphics & Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. I was able to successfully connect my monitors to the adapter and the adapter to the laptop via the USB. That is working beautifully.

I am wondering if it is possible to toggle this monitor set up to the desktop computer when I need it instead of the laptop, and instead of having another monitor for the desktop (trying NOT to have 3 monitors).

I was hoping I could simply disconnect the USB from the laptop & connect it to the desktop, but that does not appear to be working. (Prior to trying this connection I DID install the driver software on the desktop computer). I am guessing it is because I am trying to connect it to the desktop using a USB extension cable?? I suppose I could move the pluggable and laptop under my desk where the desktop computer is if you think that is really the issue, but I wanted to check before dismantling this entire set up. Thank you for your help!

Hi Margy,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry that you are running into this issue, but I would be happy to assist!

There is an ability to share the adapter between the two systems, utilizing our USB2-SWITCH2 (www.plugable.com/products/USB2-SWITCH2 ) but I want to make sure the desktop system is correctly communicating with the dual adapter when it is plugged directly to the desktop.

When you have a moment, could you please connect the two displays to the adapter, then connect the adapter to the desktop system directly, and then visit www.plugable.com/support/plugdebug and download and run our diagnostic tool. Once the application completes, a .zip file will be located on your desktop. Please attach this .zip file to an email, and then send it directly to support@plugable.com with “Ticket no. 192844” in the subject line.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Everyone,

We attempted to reach out to Margy regarding the compatibility of using her Plugable product with multiple systems, and having the ability to toggle between the two, but we have not received a response back.

If anyone has any questions related to the compatibility of running two systems with the same Plugable docking station, please feel free to contact us at support@plugable.com, and we would be happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support