Tbt3-UDZ doesn’t work over USB-C on AMD desktop

I have an AMD Ryzen 3700X desktop with an Asus Tuf X570 plus Wifi motherboard. It has a single USB C 3.2 gen 2 port. No matter what I do, I can’t get it to recognize anything plugged into the dock. I don’t care about the video at all, I just want to use it as a hub.

Could I possibly connect it to a USB A 3.2 gen 2 port? Either would be fine for me as long as it works.

I’ve bought it mostly to use with my M1 MacBook Air and it works flawlessly with it so far. I’d like to swap the cable on occasion to plug in my desktop so that I can use all the peripherals through a single dock.

Please help.

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

To set expectations we often see issues with desktop systems and USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 docks. However, I would still expect USB functionality even if video isn’t supported by the USB-C controller (which is a common issue with desktops).

Since nothing is working, I would be curious if you’ve verified the USB-C port on the motherboard works with another USB-C device?

“Could I possibly connect it to a USB A 3.2 gen 2 port? Either would be fine for me as long as it works.”
Due to the requirements of the dock, and since video can’t work over USB-A, this is not a test we’ve performed.

Because you don’t need video I would say this would be OK to test, trying it shouldn’t cause any harm as long as a quality USB-C to USB-A cable is used and I would expect that USB functionality should work, but I just can’t say for certain.

You may also want to ensure your motherboard has the latest stable BIOS. In addition, I would also make sure you’ve got AMD’s latest chipset drivers installed.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.