Surface book win 10 with dual monitors

Surface book win 10 with dual monitors. When using dual MDP ports on dock everything works but refresh is slow. When I try to use MDP on surface book that monitor has no display. When I try to use usb 3.0 Plugable in USB on surface book or dock that does not work. Any pertinent advice appreciated.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description I’m not quite sure what specific products you were using originally or how you had them connected together, but you mention that you are using mini-DisplayPort connections for your monitors.

In regard using our UD-3900 dock, the dock has native DVI and HDMI outputs which cannot be converted to DisplayPort, so DisplayPort cables will not work.

Can you provide some additional detail as to how you have the UD-3900 connected to your Surface Book and what brand and specific model monitor you are trying to connect to it? Can you also let me know the type of video cable you are using to connect the monitor (what type of connector is on each end of the cable) to the UD-3900 dock?

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Sorry I was unclear. I am using a surface dock attached to the surface book. MDP to DP on 2 Dell U2417H. The video can drag a bit. So I tried using one MDP to DP
on the surface book and the other one MDP to DP from the surface dock but I can not seem to get that to work. The video through the suface book MDP never displays. The Dell U2417H indicates no input.
So I bought a Plugable USB 3.0 4k displayport adapter. Install the drivers and hooked the Plugable USB 3.0 4k displayport adapter to Dell DP. Still no video. The Dell U2417H indicates no input.
I did this in an attempt to limited the amount of data sent over the Surface book dock. Any help to get the Plugable USB 3.0 4k displayport adapter to Dell DP U2417H working would be appreciated.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back, appreciate the extra detail. While I can’t be sure of the cause of behavior with the Surface Dock, there are few things to check with regard to using the Plugable UGA-4KDP adapter.

Looking at the specifications for your monitors (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-u…) they support what is known as DisplayPort Multistream Transport (MST) which allows monitors to be connected together in a chain. As a result there are actually two DisplayPort ports on the display, but while one is for a video input signal the other is for a video output signal for the ‘next’ display in the chain.

If you would, completely remove the Surface Dock and put it aside and then connect the Plugable adapter directly to your Surface Book. Then make sure that the DisplayPort cable from our adapter is connected to the DisplayPort Input on the Dell display. I have attached a screenshot of the monitor with the correct input highlighted (item number 3). Once complete, please also double-check that the source input is set correctly via the on-screen display.

Please let me know if that helps!

Bob

!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1549733/171671_inline.JPG?1486658892)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1549733/171671.JPG?1486658892)

Bob,
Thanks for the response. Unplugged the dock. I plugged the plugable adapter into the USB and the same DP I was using for the dock. Boom We had video.
Plugged the dock back in and I have video on the third monitor too. Hopefully this will help some of the display lag with both monitors. I also unplugged the pluggable adapter with dock plugged in, and plugged adapter back in video came back then too.
Thanks again… I will updated in the next few days regarding display lag.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back with the update and you are very welcome. I am glad the Plugable adapter is working properly.

Please let us know if anything changes and please have a good day!

Bob

First let me say my experience so far has been good the Plugable adapter has eliminated some of the video lag I was experiencing when routing video for both monitors through the video dock…Here is my next challenge. When waking the surface book up from sleep or a period of inactivity. The display to the pluggable adapter does not pick up. If I unplug the adapter and plug it back in it does not display. If I power cycle the monitor is does not pick up. If I restart the machine it does pick up. Any ideas?

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back with the update. Just to make sure I have the current details correct, is the Plugable adapter connected to one of the USB ports on the Microsoft dock? If it is, can you connect the Plugable adapter directly to one the internal USB ports of your Surface Book to see if the behavior changes?

Thank you,

Bob

It is connected to one of the internal USB connections on the surface book.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back with the confirmation. Our next step is to perform a ‘clean’ install of the latest DisplayLink driver for the adapter to ensure that it is in a good state and not contributing to the current behavior. If you would, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the adapter from the system and please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.1 M0 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the adapter directly to one of the USB ports of your Surface Book which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.

Please let us know if that helps with the behavior waking from sleep, and we will determine the next steps from there.

Thank you for your patience!

Bob