S.M.A.R.T. Support for USB3-SATA-U3 with ASMedia 1051E Chipset

This question was asked previously with the same device but with the LucidPort USB 300 chipset.

http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

I bought this item needing to perform drive diagnostics, however, I’ve been disappointed to discover that the S.M.A.R.T. data was not available through several diagnostic tools I tried (SeaTools, PassMark Disk Checkup, HDDScan). I’ll go back to the prior article to see if any of those still apply. Is there a firmware update that will fix this or is there a known tool that will correctly read the information?

Thanks

Hi there,

Good question, thanks for asking!

The 1051e chipset and current firmware does support SMART pass-through. I’d suggest trying HD Tune Pro or CrystalDiskInfo which should present SMART data for drives inserted in the dock. (I’m unsure how these programs obtain SMART data differently than the ones that haven’t worked in your previous testing, but they are tested and confirmed working.)

Also, last time I installed it, I noticed that CrystalDiskInfo comes bundled with a browser toolbar installer. Please make sure to do a custom install and opt-out of this “feature” if you don’t want it installed on your system!

Thanks!
Gary