Product help needed

Hi, how can I compare features on the different docking stations? I need one for my Dell Inspiron 15N laptop. Thanks

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the great question about the differences between our USB 2.0 Docking Station / Terminal (UD-160-A) and the USB 2.0 Docking Client (DC-125). I’ll put together a table comparing the different features and post it on our web site as soon as possible. Of course I’ll include the link here so it will be easy to find. Also, if you can tell me more about your intended use of the Docking Station I may be able to assist you in making your decision.

We’re here to help!
Jerome.

Thanks, Jerome. When I used business pcs at work, I had the specific docking station that all I had to do was slide the company laptop into the station and all peripherals, power, monitor, keyboard, mouse, ethernet connection, etc were all there and ready for when I was working at the office. Now I am spoiled and would like to get as close to that as I can at home! I dont want to spend too much. Your products got better reviews than your competitors. So I need something that is compatible that will hook in my monitor (yet to be purchased but very run of the mill), power adapter, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the extra details on how you plan to use the Docking Station. In my opinion, the UD-160-A would probably be a better fit because it has more ports and allows you to connect other USB devices to the docking station where as the DC-125 only has two USB connections generally for a mouse and keyboard. Also, the UD-160-A has an external power supply making it an excellent choice for connecting power demanding external devices such as USB hard drives.

Hope this helps!
Jerome.

Jerome, I have one more question. I ordered the one you suggested and am now looking for a monitor. I have read some reviews that indicate that the video may not be as quick with the docking station. My laptop has a 1 GB video card. Will the size of the monitor have an impact on the video speed? I am looking at monitors between 20 and 24 inches and wonder if being at the low end of that or the high end would impact video performance. Thanks.

Hi, Jerome, could you take a look at the question I posted a few days ago and let me know what you think? Thanks.

HI Lauren,

Thanks for your inquiry, and thanks for the follow up!

As far as video performance is concerned, it’s the native resolution of the external monitor that is important more than actual size. Because the UD-160-A has the DisplayLink 165 chip for it’s display engine, it’s maximum recommended resolution is DVI/VGA up to 1920×1080. Also, because it’s USB graphics, it’s actually using the CPU for graphics rendering so slower machines can show a bit lower video quality. As for the CPU, a Dual-core or 2GHz processor or better is recommended on Windows Vista, Win7, and Mac (Single core ULV or Intel Atom class processors or better are recommended for Windows XP and Linux).

Hope this helps!!!
Jerome.

Thanks

: )