Plugable USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking not recognized.

Hi, I plugged this (Plugable USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking) into my d-link wireless router usb (via 4 port usb hub) to be used as a network drive and it’s not being recognized. My other external hard drives, in the same hub, are recognized, but not this one. Any idea?

??

Hi Will - Thanks for posting. We’ll work to help.

It’s good to know that it’s a router that supports USB mass storage (evidenced by the other drives working).

There’s a couple big or subtle things that could be going wrong.

Quick questions:

1. Where was the SATA hard drive that’s being plugged into the dock used last (Windows, Mac, Linux)? Do you know what partitions and filesystems are on it? A common problem is it’s a new, unformatted drive that would need to be formatted before it’ll be recognized

2. Related, do you have a computer around that you could connect the SATA drive dock and drive to, and let us know how that Windows or Mac sees it?

Thanks for getting back with these extra details! From that, we’ll be able to figure out next steps.

Hi Bernie, thanks for replying.

1. It is a new drive. I initialized it and made it mbr (I believe) using my laptop. Then I had to do a quick format in order for it to be recognized.

2. When I plug it into any laptop, the drive is recognized and I can read/write files on it.

Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Hi William-

Thanks for getting back to us!

So we have more complete details to help in recommending the right steps, can you please connect the drive via our dock to a Windows or Mac PC, and run our support tool, PlugDebug?

Please send the .zip file it creates to support@plugable.com with a link to this thread.

Instructions to download and use PlugDebug are here:
http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies