Plugable USB 3.0 HDMI / DVI Adapter on MacBook Pro w/Mountain Lion resolution problem

Dear Plugable

Recently I purchased Plugable USB 3.0 HDMI / DVI Adapter and connected to my thunderbold port (reason why I bought this adapter is because I already have external ssd drive connected to thunderbolt)

Now… I tried to turn off mirror display so I could get as much resolution on the external screen, but even when I close lid of the laptop, both screen remain active (external and laptop’s) this causes effect of two screens, I tried to “move around” screens in the Display setting but to no avail,

Is there a problem with the adapter/driver or maybe something (hopefully) else is needed

If I have mirror display on, I get high resolution but not maximizing external display…

thanks in advance for any help!

Dear Plugable

Just to clarify I connected USB cable to the adapter and then adapter to the external HDMI screen

This btw is THE only product that I know of on the market (and will be absolutely awesome if it works) to free up thunderbolt port, (for something like SSD) and still have external monitor !

maybe best summary would be:

laptop screen is turned off (but still active!) when the lid is closed and Plugable USB 3.0 HDMI / DVI Adapter is connected to the external (HDMI) screen…

thanks and regards!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in contact with us. I am happy to answer your question regarding our USB 3.0 HDMI/DVI adapter.

Unfortunately this is a driver issue. DisplayLink based devices do not have any support for clamshell mode.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies

Stephen, thanks for this very good response. (I am also writing praise notes, because I am very satisfied with the Adapter, I will just have to work with mirror mode, managed to place menu bar cross both displays, and moved laptop screen to the right… so it is a very good temporary solution)

Adapter itself is performing EXCELLENT, I will try to contact vendor of the driver (display link) it does indeed look driver is ready for multi-screen display (and not clamshell…)

not only satisfied with the product , but also competitive pricing and also great support

not to mention there is really nothing like that on the market because I looked… (high performance USB->HDMI solution)

thanks so much!