Hello Robert, thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of these issues with our dock and I will be happy to help.
Thank you for the description of the behavior you are seeing. Based off of your description of the device disconnect/reconnect chimes, there could be a couple of different variables involved, not excluding a faulty docking station. In which case, we would be happy to send a pre-tested replacement dock to make sure that the hardware is working properly.
However, we will want to try reinstalling the DisplayLink cleaner steps to make sure that the DisplayLink software is in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
- Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
- Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
- Now download and install the 8.2 M2 DisplayLink software, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
- Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please click the ‘Skip’ button to allow the process to complete and then reboot the system.
If these steps help, great! If not, would you be able to send us a log file from your system to see if it can help determine what may be happening? To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug --> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug. Please send us the file that is created on your Dekstop to our direct support email team at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Ticket Number 187438’ in the subject line. We’ll match everything up and determine next steps from there.