Nvidia GeForce OpenGL on Windows 10

We cannot get the Nvidia Graphics card to work once we close the lid on the laptop. The two external monitors work but through the onboard graphics and cannot run software such as Sketchup unless we can utilize the Nvidia Graphics OpenGL. This is on laptops running Windows 10 connected to the Plugable Docks.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, we may be dealing with some limitations between DisplayLink, OpenGL, and the Nvidia Control Panel. This has been a long standing issue over the years between DisplayLink and Nvidia as the application looks for monitors that are directly attached to the system and it will fail when other graphic adapters are in use.

That being said, I would be happy to investigate further to see if we can find any workarounds. To do so, I’d like to request some logs from your system to better understand your setup. Could you please keep the docking station connected to your system, then navigate to our PlugDebug tool (https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug/) and follow the instructions there?

This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send that file to us directly at support@plugable.com with the subject line “Ticket #258162”.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

Thank you for your quick response. I think everything works well until you update Windows 10 creator. I will get the logs for you first thing tomorrow.

John reached out to us directly with their system logs and we confirmed the issue with Windows, DisplayLink, and OpenGL.

To provide some context, Microsoft and DisplayLink (the maker of the chip in our dock and author of the driver) have identified a bug within the Windows 10 Anniversary and Creators Update. Now that Microsoft has integrated support for the DisplayLink technology used in our DisplayLink-based docks, certain applications such as Sketchup (which make use of OpenGL) may not work as expected.

Pending Microsoft fixing the issue, there are two possible workarounds. The first is to have the main display assigned to a display directly connected to the internal graphics adapter – whether that is an internal laptop display or another external display connected to one of the systems built-in video outputs.

Another possible workaround would be to duplicate or mirror your internal laptop display to one of the monitors connected via the dock in Windows Display settings. In order to keep the laptop closed, the Power settings must be changed such that the laptop is set to “Do nothing” when the laptop lid is closed.

For further questions or clarification, please contact us directly at support@plugable.com and we’d be happy to help.

Mitchell