New DP monitor not working w/ DP to DVI cable

Had been running a second monitor with native DVI connection that worked perfectly. Just bought a Dell U2415 that only has HDMI, Mini DP, DP inputs. My HDMI output on dock is occupied leaving only the DVI. Bought this DP → DVI cable AmazonBasics DisplayPort to DVI Cable - 6 Feet and connected. Monitor does not receive a signal from the dock. What troubleshooting steps should I take? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, that DisplayPort to DVI cable only supports being connected from a DisplayPort output to an DVI input – not the other way around.

Looking at the specifications for your Dell U2415, it appears that there are two HDMI ports available. Assuming this is the case, you may want to consider using an HDMI to DVI cable. These are good options because they are inexpensive as well as being bi-directional. This means they function from an HDMI output to DVI input and vice versa. Many of our customers have successfully used one like this: http://www.amzn.com/B00K7HECTQ/

The DisplayPort to DVI cable is not bi-directional, so you may want to consider returning it.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Mitchell

Thanks for your help, I’ll try the HDMI ->DVI solution!

Certainly glad to help! Please feel free to follow up with the results of the HDMI to DVI cable!

Thanks,

Mitchell

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.