Need to get my microscope to magnify 200x on Linux computer

I have a USB 2.0 Digital Microscope. On my Linux Mint computer system, it works fine, but does NOT magnify to the 200x. Only seems to magnify to 50x. Does anyone know how I can get the 200x digital magnification to work on Linux??? thank you so much.

Hello Susan,

Actually, since you cannot use the included software on Linux, you can’t change the capture resolution so there’s no digital magnification.

You can still get some fairly good results though. If you’re only able to magnify to near the ~50x indicated mark on the microscope, try this:

Put the clear shield right up against an object you want to magnify. At this point, you should have a lower magnification focal point at around 35x. If you continue moving the zoom wheel to around the 200x mark, you should have another clear focal point. Many people miss this second focal point, it’s part of the normal behavior with the varifocal lens.

The actual magnification is going to depend on the distance from the microscope to the object, and the size of the monitor.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any more specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Sam Morgan
Technical Support Analyst
Plugable Technologies