MacBook Pro 14 with M1 Pro Chip

Getting a new MacBook Pro 14 with M1 Pro Chip - Want to connect two Apple Thunderbolt monitors and one HDMI monitor. Will I need any pluggable stuff or should it all jus work…?

Thanks for the help.
Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support! I’d be happy to help answer your question.

The MacBook Pro 14" with the M1 Pro chip can only support up to two displays natively according to the technical specifications.

This means that you will only be able to support two of your three monitors natively without the use of a technology such as DisplayLink.

Additionally, the Apple Thunderbolt Display uses a Thunderbolt 2 connector that needs an adapter to connect to your MacBook Pro. We do not offer a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, but Apple offers their own Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter here.

There are ways we can achieve three displays on your setup, but the setup would be quite complicated relatively speaking, either taking up all three Thunderbolt 4 ports on the MacBook or requiring an additional Thunderbolt 4 hub to expand one Thunderbolt 4 port into many. Otherwise, you may be capped at two external displays for your setup.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.