Mac OS X Lion 10.7 and DisplayLink USB 2.0 display adapter

Just a word of thanks for posting this Bernie. I was not sure what happened when I initially installed Lion, as I have so many things installed on my mbp. I run 3-28" lcds of it when at home, so your post on the ‘high performance’ adjustment was what I needed to get back in business.

And kudos to the team for working hard on responding to Apple’s breaking changes.

I’ll subscribe to your twitter feed to keep apprised of updates re Lion drivers. Thanks for having that available.

Best,

Chris Hood

Good news!

It seems that DisplayLink has just released Beta 3 of their 1.7 driver.

Fixes include:

• Login stuck when DisplayLink screen connected in some configurations (12112)

• DisplayLink screens don’t power off at display sleep (5874, 12031)

Hope this helps anyone with those issues!

Regards,
Lampros

Sorry, bad news…

It seems that DisplayLink Beta 3 of their 1.7 driver doesn’t fix issues on my macbook pro :

• login window is not displayed after reboot (New security feature…)
  • also causes problem to flash player (tested both safari, firefox)… I’ve uninstalled this driver and flash works fine again.

(Macbook Pro + 2 LCD monitors connected)

By the way, the flash player problem occurs not only on the lcd monitor connected to the display link but on every displays.

Hi Daniel - thanks for posting on this. Apple has definitely introduced a bunch of changes that has caused things that worked on (Snow) Leopard to no longer work on Lion.

DisplayLink needs to catch up. The just released Beta 3 driver is a start, but there’s a lot more to do.

We’re tracking DisplayLink’s progress, and we’d recommend posting feedback directly with DisplayLink also (http://displaylink.org/forum/forumdis…) if you don’t see any other mention of it on their forums.

Please contact us here if there’s anything we can do, or email support@plugable.com with your amazon order #, if it’s something specific to your order.

Thanks!
Bernie

Hi Daniel,
Sorry to hear that you’re seeing those issues!

* Have you already tried changing the power settings? (look at the 1st post by Bernie)
What graphics card does your Mac uses?

Regards,
Lampros

I have the following config:

• Macbook Air, late 2010
    Processor: 2.13ghz intel core 2 duo processor
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
    Serial Number C02F422PDJDK
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

I would like to use the Plugable UGA-2k-A with the DisplayLink beta 4 driver.

Are there any reported problems or issues I need to be aware of?
I did search on the forum and could not find anything.

Thanks for asking ahead. It looks like your system (late 2010 Macbook Air) doesn’t suffer from the most difficult problem: A Lion bug which causes most Hybrid GPU systems to have blank login screens and other problems (See http://displaylink.org/forum/showthre… for details)

So there are no particular red flags with your system. And the DisplayLink Mac 1.7 beta 4 drivers offer significant performance gains.

That said, the drivers are still very much beta, and there are still Lion-specific bugs (mostly related to sleep) that are in Apple’s court to fix.

So it’s a mixed picture. Hope that background helps! Thanks again,
Bernie

So, I am getting my Plugable UGA-2K-A today. Is the correct install method to only install the the beta 4 driver from Display Link, then install the adapter?

I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Hi Parsons - Yep, that’s it. Email support@plugable.com anytime if there’s any trouble at all. We’ll be happy to help/ Thanks! Bernie

our problem since Lion upgrade is not recognizing the display. We use ProPresenter in our church and use display link for our stage display projector. We have installed the latest driver, but still have problems with the display not being recognized consistently. we have to unplug usb and reconnect a few times before things synch up. Any ideas?

Hi John - I’ve not seen that particular behavior yet (requiring unplug and reconnect a few times to get the projector up). If you have a Plugable brand adapter, please feel free to email support@plugable.com (including your Amazon order number if possible), and we’ll work with you to figure it out. Thanks!

Hello . i have bought this product yesterday and i have a presentation on Wednesday .
i have been having problems with keynote , it does not display the transitions , animations at all , is there any fix for this please?

Hi Mohamed - Thanks for posting! This thread has become a bit jumbled with topics: can you email support@plugable.com - we’ll be able to get you help more quickly.

And if you haven’t already upgraded to the latest DisplayLink version 1.7 drivers (at http://displaylink.com/support/mac_do…) that would be our first recommendation. Thanks for your patience! Bernie

I am having the same problem in my church. Just purchased propresenter with a MacBook Pro and my back monitor run from the USB display keeps going out. Have to to unplug and move to another USB port it will pick back up most of the time. Was told it is the lates Mac OS that is causing the issue. Using Displaylink 1.8 driver, but still no success.
Thanks,
Darren

Hi Darren-

Thanks for posting, we’ll be happy to help!

It sounds as though you had a USB graphics adapter that was working normally until you purchased ProPresenter? If that’s correct, we would like to have this conversation in a separate thread to avoid confusion. This thread was initially for issues that happened when a customer upgraded from OS X 10.6 to 10.7.

I’ll also need a few other details from your system to be able to provide the best support. The DisplayLink support tool will gather these details into a .zip file you can email, attention Jeff, to support@plugable.com. Instructions for use and download are available here, under the second section, "Collecting Logs on Mac:"http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Please send in those additional details at your convenience and we should be able to get you back to normal

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies