Lose video during large file copy via TBT3-UDV dock.

Everything work fine unless I copy a large file (50GB) to an external drive attached to the dock.

The monitor will go black about every minute or two. The audio also is lost. It stays black for about 1-3 seconds then returns.

Once the file copy is complete then the screen black out stops and all things return to normal.

The monitor is a Samsung 40" 4K tv connected to an HDMI cable which is attached to the provided HDMI-DP dongle.

The HDD is a Samsung T3. The failure occurs no matter which port it is connected to (USBC or A).

Any suggestions?

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for contacting us, and I would be happy to help with your new docking station!

The behavior you describe is certainly not expected, so our next step is to get some additional information. Can you let me know the following?

1. What specific model host system you are connecting the dock to, and what version of the operating system is installed?
  2. Can you confirm you are using the Thunderbolt 3 cable included in the box with the dock to connect it to your system? (3rd-party cables can sometimes cause problems)
  3. If you connect a different external drive to the dock (if you have one available) and repeat the same test, does the behavior change?

Thank you in advance for your patience, and giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Went back to isolate the exact scenario that caused the blanking and it was not the docking station at all. It was the new Samsung TV.

The docking station was operating normally.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back with the update, I appreciate very much you taking the time to dig in further to isolate the problem and share your results.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future, and please have a good day!

Bob