Lenovo Yoga 720 suddenly having issues with my Plugable docking station

I’ve had this docking station hooked up to my Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop for 6 weeks without any issues. Starting a few days ago my laptop began taking several minutes to resume from hibernation while connected to this station. Same with cold boots - i hear the fans working overtime for several minutes before the boot screen even appears. If I resume from hibernate or cold boot while either the stock charger is plugged in or when unplugged the computer resumes immediately. Even If I boot directly into the bios while plugged into the docking station the fan goes crazy and things are sluggish, so I don’t think this is a Windows problem.

Furthermore, even after the laptop has resumed the mouse and keyboard are frozen for about 30 seconds. Then I get a Windows error about a usb device failing, and then things work fine. I have the latest Windows updates and DisplayLink drivers installed. I have factory reset my laptop twice, thinking this was a Windows issue, but I am convinced this is a docking station issue.

I’m past my 30 day mark so I can’t return this, but I really don’t want to throw out a $200 station and start over. Any suggestions?

Hi Jh,

Thanks for contacting us! I’m sorry your docking station stopped working as expected and I would be happy to help.

Thank you as well for the great detail you provided about the behavior, that is much appreciated. We offer a one-year hardware warranty on all products sold by Plugable Technologies and fulfilled by Amazon, so should the dock prove faulty we will of course provide for a replacement.

That said, we will want to do some quick troubleshooting to rule out other contributing factors that would make a replacement behave in the same manner. To that end, one quick additional question for you…can you confirm that you are using the USB-C cable that was included in the box with the dock to connect it to your system? I ask because in some cases 3rd-party cables can cause problems…

In addition to that information, if you would please send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket 196797’ in the subject line which will allow us to match everything up and examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

** If you could also include your Amazon Order ID number (available from amazon.com/orders) in your direct email (please don’t post that in the forum) and the serial number from the bar code on the bottom of the unit that would be most helpful **

Thank you in advance for your patience and giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support