Our older Lenovo E45 periodically locks up and has to be restarted. It doesn’t happen when the USB 3.0 Docking Station is not connected to it. There is nothing reported in the event log. Any ideas? It’s up-to-date Windows 10.
Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry the system is locking up.
Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system.
If you would, please keep the dock connected and both monitors attached and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to your reply email as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.
Please send the email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject line “Ticket #233306 - Attn: Pat”
Thanks for sending us the PlugDebug log file! I would like to start by updating the DispayLink software and drivers to see if this will help resolve the freezing issue. Unfortunately some of the system hardware is no longer supported in Windows 10 and is relying on out of date drivers that may be causing the freezing behavior with the docking station connected.
Our first step is to reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ installation of the required DisplayLink drivers to help ensure both are in a good state. Please perform the following:
- Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
- Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
- Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
- Now download and install the 8.5 M2 DisplayLink software, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
- Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.
Please let us know if that helps get things working how they should, and we’ll go from there.