Laptop with windows 8-want to add 3 monitors what do I buy?

I have a new hp laptop with Windows 8. I want to add 3 monitors to the laptop. Each monitor has a VGA plug. I realize that I need to purchase an adapter for 2 of the three monitors(1 for each monitor, the 3rd monitor will go directly into the laptop correct?). but which adapter should I purchase and will this work? these monitors are used for business spreadsheets, email etc not gaming all business… thank you

Hi Debbie-

Thanks for posting with your question!

Unfortunately, we’re not currently recommending DisplayLink based graphics adapters on Windows 8 due to issues described here: http://plugable.com/2012/10/27/window…

Please let me know if you’d like to be added to a notification list for when this changes or have other questions.

Assuming you don’t have/want USB3 speeds, and some other issues are resolved, I’d suggest a UD-160-A with either a UGA-165 or a UGA-2KA plugged into the hub on the UD-160-A. This would allow you to have at least 2/3 monitors, as well as other USB devices like your keyboard and mouse, or Ethernet all connected via a single USB cable to the UD-160-A. Adding a 2nd UGA-165 or UGA-2K-A to the docking station would let you run the last monitor over USB as well, which might be more convenient than having to connect/disconnect that other display directly to the laptop every time you want to go somewhere.

The deciding factor between the UGA-165 and the UGA-2K-A is that the UGA-2K-A supports higher-end displays resolutions up to 2048×1152 / 1920×1200 while the UGA-165 tops out at the common “1080p” resolution used by most 20-23 inch displays.

Again, we can’t recommend this just yet due to some Windows 8 specific issues, but that is just a matter of time. Just let me know if you’d like to be notified once things are ready.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies

Jeff,
Thank you for your response. Yes please notify me as soon as these issues are resolved. These monitors are important to us on a day to day with business. We up dated our old business desk top to a laptop (for travel) with the idea that we could still have the monitors when in the office which is about 80% of the time.
Do you have a time line for when this might be resolved?
Thank you!

Hi Debbie-

Unfortunately we can’t really say on a timeframe. Anyone else interested is welcome to contact us at support@plugable.com to be put on the DisplayLink Windows 8 notification list.

Best wishes-

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I am JIm, Debbie’s husband, and was looking at your website (for the same solution). I came up with your “USB3-VGAUSB 3.0 to VGA adapter for Windows” which says it supports Windows 8. We have 3-19" monitors. Would this work if we used 3 of the above adapters plugged into your “4-port SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 hub”?

Hi Jim-

Currently we’re not recommending ANY of our USB graphics devices on Windows 8. We’re getting mixed reports based on different hardware and drivers, so I’d say it’s best to hold off at this time.

We’ve got Debbie on the notification list for whenever we give the green light here.

Best wishes-

Jeff