Intel NUC5i7RYH using Plugable MiniDisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 only running at UHD 30Hz

Details:
Computer: Intel NUC5i7RYH Windows 10 (v1703 Creators Update build 15063.483)
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 (Driver 20.19.15.4624)
Display: Samsung UN50MU630D (same as the Samsung UN50MU63000)
Adapter: Plugable mDP to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter (Rev. B)
Cable: HDMI 2.0 cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00…)

Unfortunately looks like I can only get UHD 3840x2160 @ 30Hz.

Though I’m sure the NUC can output UHD 60Hz because the same computer connecting from the miniDP to a WasabiMango UHD display via a standard DisplayPort works fine.

I’ve tried creating a custom resolution in the Intel Graphics Control Panel but that creates some strange display artifacts…

I’ve also checked the Samsung TV can support UHD “4K” at 60Hz 4:4:4 color
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sams…

Not sure what to do next…

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

I’m sorry to hear about the problems getting 4K@60Hz while using the Plugable MDP-HDMI adapter. I would like to help.

As noted in the rtings review:

The Samsung MU6300 series supports 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 when ‘HDMI UHD color’ is enabled.

Additionally, 4:4:4 color is only properly supported when the TV is in PC mode, which is activated by changing the icon of the input used to ‘PC’. PC mode doesn’t work for some input frame rates such as 24 Hz; the icon may still display PC, but the settings that are normally disabled in PC mode such as color and tint are not disabled, indicating that PC mode isn’t active.

Please make sure that the HDMI UHD color option is enabled, and set the input being used to utilize the ‘PC’ icon and see if you are able to successfully choose 4K@60Hz after making those changes.

If for some reason the option for 3840x2160 at 60Hz is not exposed in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel after validating the settings on the television, please try adding a custom resolution in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (make sure that your TV is selected in the drop down menu on the left when going to create the custom resolution).

Let me know how this goes. I look forward to hearing back.

YES! This worked!

I had to enable UHD Color on the Samsung and make a custom resolution in the Intel Graphics Control Panel but now I’m getting UHD@60Hz!!

Strangely the first time I enabled UHD Color on the Samsung it was only at 30Hz and there was a doubling of some of the text that made it look blurry…

But the combination of enabling UHD color and creating the custom resolution made it work and it’s crystal clear UHD 4:4:4 @60Hz.

Thanks Plugable! You make good products and have great support. I’m now a fanboy customer.

Thanks for writing back! That’s great to hear that 4K 60Hz is working well with those changes.

If you encounter any other issues with the adapter, or need help with any other Plugable products in the future, please feel free to reach out to us again. We’re happy to help!