HP Envy 17 and 2 external monitors

I have a HP Envy

Product Name 17-n178ca
Product Number M1W08UA
Microprocessor 6th generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6GHz with up to 3.5GHz 6MB L3 Cache) Quad Core
Memory 16GB DDR3L SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Video Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX950M Graphics with 4096MB of dedicated video memory
Display 17.3" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit touch screen (1920x1080)
Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM hard drive
Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Wireless Connectivity 2x2 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth
External Ports Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader

4 SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1 supporting USB Boost

1 HDMI

1 RJ-45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack|

and 2 external Dell monitors - with HDMI & display ports

Which of your products should I purchase?

this one?

Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station for Windows (Dual Video HDMI & DVI/VGA, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 6 USB Ports)

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am happy to help!

Our USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station UD-3900 ( https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900 ) is compatible with your system. This docking station supports two external monitors up to 1080P ( 1920x1080 ) resolution, one connected to the HDMI output and one connected to the DVI output ( this can be converted to VGA with the supplied adapter or to HDMI with a separate adapter ). Additionally, this docking station has four USB 2.0 ports ideal for mouse and keyboard, two USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, 3.5mm stereo headphone output, and 3.5mm microphone input.

This docking station requires the DisplayLink USB Graphics Software to be installed ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ). DisplayLink is a separate company that manufactures the chipsets and software used in our docking stations to provide display connections over USB. We recommend our USB docking stations for use with office and web browsing software, due to the limited bandwidth of USB 3.0 and reduced hardware graphics acceleration capabilities of the DisplayLink software compared to a hardware graphics card the external displays may not perform well for 2D or 3D Graphics Applications, full screen video playback, video editing software, or stock trading applications.

Please let me know if this docking station meets your needs, or if not let me know what devices and software you would like to use with the external displays and I would be happy to help point you to our best fit.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

good - i’ll buy it.

I already have a HDMI to-HDMI cable, but I’ll need a cable from your box to the second monitor. What cable should that one be?

HDMI to DVI?

or DVI to DVI?

Hi Rob,

The type of cable depends on the monitor’s inputs. If the monitor supports DVI, then a DVI-to-DVI cable is a great choice. If the monitor supports HDMI then a DVI-to-HDMI cable will be the way to go. The Single-Link DVI output on this docking station is compatible with most HDMI monitors up to 1920x1200 resolution using a simple DVI-to-HDMI cable, these can be found from most local computer stores as well as on Amazon or other online retailers.

If you are unsure of your monitor’s capabilities, please let me know the manufacturer name and model number and I would be happy to look up the specifications.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

both monitors are Dell -model no. 2408WFPb

Hi Rob,

These monitor support both HDMI and DVI, so either option works, and should have no visual difference in quality! If you already have a DVI cable then you are good to go, a DVI-to-HDMI cable will be less common but can be found from Amazon:

We do not recommend specific 3rd party cables, but as an example, here ( https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY ) is a link to the Amazon Basics DVI to HDMI cable.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, I am happy to help!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

perfect thanks!

Hi Rob,

You’re very welcome! Have a great weekend!

got the docking station - downloaded the driver - rebooted - can see the 3 “screen boxes” in the windows display settings - but the second Dell displays an error message “No DVI-D2 cable”.
Note, I thought that the Dells were identical - they are not - one is 2407WFPb - the other 240*three%20screens%202019-07-27_19-35-58 *WFPb.

The configurations is:
docking station HDMI to DVI (screen 1), DVI to HDMI (Screen 2)

will send the Plugable diagnostic file per email.

Do I need to connect to the second monitor with a DVI to DVI cable perhaps?

Never mind
I figured it out
I needed to change the INPUT SOURCE on the monitor menu!
works fine
thanks
please close the case

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delayed reply over the weekend, I am glad you got it sorted out and that everything is up and working now!

I will go ahead and close this thread, please feel free to start another thread or send us an email if you have any additional questions, I am happy to help!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com