How to set up 2 independent x-window display in ubuntu?

Hi,
I just ordered a USB-VGA-165 for my laptop, running ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35-28-generic). For work I need to project pdfs onto two video projectors (1366x768 and 1280x1024). There is no animation, just slides, and at any moment I will advance slides on at most one screen at a time. There is no audio, and I do not need to drag a terminal from one screen across to another; the two projectors are completely independent of each other.

The laptop has a VGA out (which is mirrored on the laptop’s display). I would like to use the plugable to get a second display output.

Question: how would I set up the plugable adapter in this “minimal” setup? And if the two displays really are independent of each other, how would I change from one to the other (e.g. to advance slices)? The slides are shown in “presentation mode” which means I will not have access to the gnome panel etc. without first hitting some sort of control keys…

I’m reasonably good at working with ubuntu and I can follow instruction, but I have no experience with kernel hacking/x-org, so please be gentle. And for work reason I’d prefer not to upgrade the kernel on my laptop.

Thanks!

Hi Partita,

have a look into the mailinglist:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives…
I posted a little script, that should work for any setup to get two X sessions working (you need to get the device right e.g. /dev/fb0).
x2x lets you switch the input devices between different X sessions.

Hope that helps,

Marcus