How to assign volume name to a new disk that already has data?

When I add my SATA drive to the docking station, I can see Disk 1 showing up in Disk Management but I do not see a volume (C,D,E) assigned to it. Hence I am unable to access the data on the disk. How do I assign a volume name to this disk? I am using Windows 7.

Hi Lalit,

Thanks for contacting us, we’ll be happy to help. If you are installing a new disk you first need to format it. You can start the Windows Disk Management utility by typing Disk Management in the search box of the start menu. Once it starts, you should see your drive there probably listed as unallocated.

Then right click on the unallocated space and from there you should be able to create a new volume or format the volume if that option is available.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

This disk current has data. It was one of the drives of the network (part of the LaCie 2Big disk array). The LaCie container is not working so I am trying to retrieve the data from this disk. So I cannot format it as doing so will wipe off my data.

Hi Lalit - Quick question: If the LaCie disk array had multiple drives, is there any chance it was configured to use the drives as a RAID array? This would have potentially striped data across the drives.

If so, do you know what RAID level (here are the standard ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Sta… )

Depending on how the LaCie array spread data across the drives, each individual drive may not be readable on its own.

If this is a case of the LaCie drive array crashing, you may want to get LaCie in the loop to figure out the best recovery method.

Let us know. We’ll help in any way we can …

Hello Bernie,

The disk was in a mirrored configuration and hence there was no parity. I am able to see the disk come up in Windows Disk Management. I just need to find out how I can access the disk and get the data off this disk.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lalit

Hi Lalit,

If the drive is showing up but has no drive letter assigned you shouls be able to assign a drive letter from the Disk Management Utility. Just right click on the drive in question and choose drive letters and paths. Does that work?

Thanks,
Jerome.

In my quick instalation manual it says go to unallocated drive and press new partition. But when i go into computer manegment and click on unallocated it says new volume. Is that the same?

Hi Jonathand_94,

Thanks for posting your question here, we’ll be happy to help. You’ll want to create the New Volume and then you’ll be able to partition it. Sorry for the confusion in terminology.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks,
Jerome.